gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
29561 Posts in 3543 Topics by 312 Members - Latest Member: Bob Gillette September 23, 2017, 07:45:52 AM
* Home | Forum | Help | Search | Calendar | Media | Members | Login | Register |
gfx
East Coast Astro  |  General Category  |  Member Reviews (Moderator: Craig & Tammy)  |  Great iPad APP for those doing astro outreach (or just wana have fun)...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great iPad APP for those doing astro outreach (or just wana have fun)...  (Read 3213 times)

Offline ccdastrovideo

• View Profile
Good evening fellow astro buffs!

If you are involved in doing star parties or any astro education, you have I'm sure been asked about magnification.

Sure you can do the math and keep all the numbers for all the combinations of your scopes and eyepieces in your head... or you can purchase an iOS app.

I recently purchased Astro Aid ($2.99) to solve all these mysteries and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the User Interface as well as the library of equipment and targets.

Here is the itunes link ...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astroaid/id541448395?ls=1&mt=8

Of the 30 plus astro app's that I have, this is one of the top 10 for usefulness.

I especially like the fact that you can select virtually any imaging camera and have it show you the field of view with your selected target ....

Also it will display the field of view for any eyepiece / telescope combination.

This is a really cool app for quickly and easily illustrating what you will be seeing or imaging.

Attached are to screen shots showing all the detailed information with my 10" RCOS and FLI ML8300.

Really cool app....

What's in your iPad ?

Clear Skies,

Jim

Offline Jason C

• Astrotroniks, LLC
  • Administrator
  • Mr Jay Sr. Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Great iPad APP for those doing astro outreach (or just wana have fun)...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
That looks like a pretty cool app. I like to see a thought out ui that is just as usable, whether out in the field or browsing it for target ideas sitting on the couch. Even out in the field during a session with a laptop, I would appreciate its use. As iPad or tab and smartphone users know, these devices have become more than mobile computers, they have become another extension of our beings. thanks for sharing
Clear Skies, Jason

Offline El Paso Eric

• Site Members
  • Manager
    • View Profile
    • Eric's Images
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
That's interesting.  I'm not at the point where I use an Ipod or my Droid at the scope yet.   For planning, if I haven't planned my image well ahead of time, it's usually too late.  But maybe this might be handy for the couch-uranometria shot planning.

Thanks for sharing...

Eric
FSQ-106ED | FLI 2-7 | FLI 11k CCD | MMOAG / DSI Pro | AP Mach1GTO | Astrodon 3nm Narrowband

IC 2XIOM 7X

Offline nickg38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing - it's now in my collection!  ;)

Nick
Nick

Asteria observatory
Vixen VC200L / AT66
AP900GTO
QHY9M/DSI Pro II

East Coast Astro  |  General Category  |  Member Reviews (Moderator: Craig & Tammy)  |  Great iPad APP for those doing astro outreach (or just wana have fun)...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx